Wednesday 17 October 2012

Make a good sandwich awesome

By now you've probably noticed that I like flexibility in my recipes, so why should this be any different?

First, ever notice how awesome melted cheese is? I mean, cheese in general is good, but something about it when it's a sticky, melted goo makes it just that much better, don't you think?

So, as you might have guessed, part of the sandwich awesomeness is having it heated. Now don't get all bent out of shape. I don't find making these much harder than a regular sandwich. There's just an extra step in the process and maybe an extra dish to clean. But it's worth it. Trust me. And, you can make them for dinner and/or pack them for lunch the next day, because they are still awesome cold. Have I mentioned these sandwiches are awesome?



I guess you probably want to know how to make them now? Okay, here goes:

Grab a couple of eggs (yes, eggs. I'll tell you why in a second)
A splash of milk
Salt and pepper
Deli meats (I like turkey and ham)
Cheese (get creative. I most often use Swiss and mozzarella, but I've also used provolone, cheddar, marble, and today, Havarti)

Okay, now go grab your griddle or fry pan. Make yourself an egg wash by beating the eggs, milk, salt and pepper together. Dip a slice of bread in the wash, one side only. We're not making French toast here, people! Just one side!
Now, place two slices of the bread, egg-washed side down, on the griddle. Top one side with meat and one side with cheese. Cook just until browned, about two minutes. Flip one slice on top of the other to form a sandwich. There. You're done! Easy, right?

In the sandwiches pictured, I've used turkey and Havarti, and turkey and marble as my examples. You can also double up for more hearty and fancy sandwiches. Top one side with mozzarella and turkey, the other side with cheddar and ham. Brown the egg sides and put them together. This is a great lunch to serve guests with soup or salad. It seems casual but will super-impress. Or, make it with one of the soups from one of my previous blogs, but then plan to spend the afternoon napping!

No comments:

Post a Comment